- TRUEX AT RICHMOND: Martin Truex Jr. is a two-time NASCAR Cup Series winner at Richmond Raceway with both victories coming last season. Overall, he has earned five top-five finishes, 11 top-10s and 1,018 laps led at the .75-mile track. Truex has led more than 100 laps in the past five Richmond races and six of the past seven races at the track dating back to September 2016.
- BREAK OUT THE BROOMS: The No. 19 team led 295 laps combined between the two Richmond races in 2019 as Truex swept the victories. In the spring, he fended off multiple challengers in the closing laps to earn his first win driving for Joe Gibbs Racing. When the Cup Series returned to the track in September, Truex was spun by a lapped car while leading on Lap 315, but managed to rally and retake the lead late in the race for his sixth victory of the 2019 campaign.
- SHORT TRACK SUCCESS: After starting his Cup Series career with zero wins in his first 80 short track races, Truex has won four of the past six races on tracks less than a mile in length. His victory at Richmond in April 2019 was the breakthrough he needed and eventually led to another victory at the .75-mile track in September followed by wins at Martinsville Speedway in November 2019 and June 2020.
- DARLINGTON RECAP: In Sunday’s playoff opener at Darlington Raceway, Truex led a race-high 196 laps and won both stages before an accident while battling for the lead in the closing laps relegated the No. 19 team to a 22nd-place finish.
- STATISTICAL RANKINGS: Truex currently ranks in the top three in multiple statistical categories, including green flag speed (first), fastest laps run (second), fastest drivers late in a run (second), top-five finishes (third-tied), top-10s (third-tied), laps led (third), driver rating (third) and fastest drivers early in a run (third).
- BASS PRO SHOPS: A longtime supporter of Truex and NASCAR, Bass Pro Shops will be featured as the primary sponsor of the No. 19 Camry for Saturday night’s race at Richmond Raceway. Bass Pro Shops is North America’s premier outdoor and conservation company. Founded in 1972 when avid young angler Johnny Morris began selling tackle out of his father’s liquor store in Springfield, Missouri. Today the company provides customers with unmatched offerings spanning premier destination retail, outdoor equipment manufacturing, world-class resort destinations and more.
- JGR AT RICHMOND: Joe Gibbs Racing’s 16 victories at Richmond Raceway are the team’s most at one track. The organization has won the past four races at the track thanks to a sweep by Kyle Busch in 2018 coupled with Truex’s pair of wins in 2019. In 139 combined starts at Richmond, JGR has tallied 46 top-five finishes, 75 top-10s and 5,058 laps led. Carl Edwards, Denny Hamlin, Matt Kenseth and Tony Stewart join Busch and Truex on the list of drivers who have taken JGR to victory lane at the track.
- TUNE IN: Coverage of the NASCAR Cup Series race at Richmond Raceway begins Saturday night at 7:30 p.m. ET on NBC Sports Network, MRN Radio and Sirius XM NASCAR Radio.
Martin Truex Jr., Driver of the No. 19 Bass Pro Shops Toyota Camry
Talk about your mindset going back to Richmond…
“Richmond is a place we feel very confident about with how we’ve ran there over the past four or five years and finally getting to victory lane last year. It has become one of our best tracks and the guys have done a great job giving me the feel I need there. We obviously didn’t get the finish we wanted last week, but it’s a new week and we know what we’re capable of. James (Small, crew chief) and the guys are bringing unbelievable cars every week, so I expect to run up front and have a shot to win this weekend.”
Joe Gibbs Racing PR