Tony Stewart, driver of the Mobil 1 Top Alcohol Dragster:
- Earned No. 1 provisional qualifying position in Q1 on Saturday (5.183 ET at 281.07 mph)
- Secured No. 1 qualifying position based off Saturday’s Q1 run. In Q2 on Saturday, Stewart ran a 5.203 ET at 282.07 mph.
- Advanced to Finals on Sunday:
- Round 1: 5.202 ET at 282.19 mph, defeated Jeff Chatterson (5.309 ET at 266.95 mph)
- Round 2: 5.288 ET at 276.75 mph, defeated Jasmine Salinas (5.333 ET at 272.89 mph)
- Finals: 5.257 ET at 276.35 mph, defeated Jackie Fricke (5.308 ET at 274.27 mph)
- Stewart earned his second win in the NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series.
- Stewart has now advanced to the finals in the last three NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series events.
- Stewart’s Q1 run of 5.183 seconds is a career-best in the NHRA Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series. His Q2 run at 282.07 mph is the fastest he has gone in a Top Alcohol Dragster.
“The last three races have been amazing. To win at Vegas and runner-up at Charlotte two weeks ago, then come here to the regional event in Indy and win is awesome. I’m really proud of this team and how much they have progressed. It was a rocky start to the year, but once they figured out the problems we were having, this thing has come to life. I feel like every run we make, we’re getting better and better and getting the window a little bigger of what makes the car happy. Rich (McPhillips Sr.), Richie (McPhillips Jr.), Renee, Wayne, Bill and Eric that are on my car are great. There’s an awesome synergy with everyone. There’s Tex and Chris on Jasmine’s (Salinas) car and Darrell and Chad on Mike’s (Coughlin) car and Matt’s (Cummings) car when he runs it. Everybody works together and we’re one giant team. It’s nice when you plan and envision a run before you do it and then it goes exactly like you had planned. The hard thing with this style of racing is keeping up with the race track and knowing how much power you can put to the car. They did a great job prepping the track and Richie did a great job keeping up with it, so we knew what to do with the car.”
The next event on the Lucas Oil Drag Racing Series schedule for Stewart is the Summit Racing Equipment NHRA Nationals June 23-25 at Summit Racing Equipment Motorsports Park in Norwalk, Ohio.