The success of Homestead-Miami Speedway’s Ford Championship Weekend is a result of the support of many entities around South Florida. At this year’s event (Nov. 17-19), a total of 40 different local organizations contributed during NASCAR’s three-day championship tradition. Between Homestead-Miami Speedway and Americrown, a catering and concessions company which is also a subsidiary of International Speedway Corporation, more than $120,000 was donated to the organizations for their efforts in areas such as information centers, parking, grandstands, tram services, catering and concessions, among others.
In addition, Homestead-Miami Speedway’s charitable outreach program, Driving for a Cause, teamed up with two local charitable organizations – Camillus House and Special Olympics of South Florida – for a 50/50 raffle during this year’s Ford Championship Weekend. Collectively, the organizations earned more than $13,000 to benefit their non-profits.
During Ford Championship Weekend, Driving for a Cause awarded grants to local non-profits in the South Florida community for the fifth consecutive year. This year, more than $27,000 in grants were donated to five organizations that support youth development and philanthropic efforts. The 2017 grant winners are Girls Scouts of Tropical Florida, Voices for Children of Broward Country, FMU National Association of Black Journalists, Mexican American Council and Miami South BMX.
“Ford Championship Weekend is the culmination of all the hard work from our staff and our neighboring organizations,” said Homestead-Miami Speedway President Matthew Becherer. “It’s encouraging to see volunteers give their time during the race, and we were proud to be able to partner with all of them.”
In addition to this year’s donations to volunteer organizations, Homestead-Miami Speedway donates more than $320,000 annually to dozens of South Florida organizations, including track rental opportunities throughout the year, an annual car wash, food drive, holiday toy drive and much more.
The following are the 40 volunteer organizations who will receive donations from Homestead-Miami Speedway and Americrown:
· Barry University- Alpha Delta Gamma Fraternity
· Barry University- Lambda Theta Phi Fraternity
· Barry University Sports Medicine Club
· Cathedral of Praise
· Chief Petty Officers of Miami, Inc.
· Christian Motorcyclists Association
· Christopher Columbus High School
· Church of the Lord Jesus Christ
· Coral Reef High School- Barracuda Diamond Club
· Coral Reef Future Farmers of America State Association
· Daveon L. Hall Scholarship Fund (Miami)
· Florida International University ALPFA (Association of Latino Professional in Finance and Accounting)
· Florida International University Alternative Spring Break
· Florida International University Biscayne Bay Campus Science Club
· Florida International University- Iota Phi Theta
· Florida International University- La Unidad Latina Lambda Upsilon Lambda Fraternity
· Florida International University- Phi Iota Alpha Fraternity
· Florida International University SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers)
· Florida Memorial University Baseball
· Friends and Family of 497 Scouts
· Homestead Senior High School Bronco Baseball Booster Club
· Laura C. Saunders Elementary Schools (Miami)
· Miami-Dade College- Curtain Call Theater Club
· Miami-Dade College- Phi Beta Lambda
· Miami Dade Police Department Explorer Post 157
· Outlaw Wrestling Club Inc.
· Redlands Christian Migrant Association
· Richmond-Perrine Alumni Chapter of Kappa Alpha Psi Fraternity (Miami)
· South Dade High School- Buccaneer Baseball Booster Club
· South Florida Lightning Wrestling Club
· South Florida Youth Symphony
· Southern Palm United Methodist Church- Cub Scout Pack 69
· Southwest Miami High School- Purple Pride Baseball
· St. Thomas University Women’s Softball Group
· TB Gymnastics Miami Booster Club, Inc.
· The Most Worshipful Union Grand Lodge of Florida, St. Luke Lodge #530
· University of Central Florida Sports Business Club
· University of Miami Sports Ethics
· Veterans of Foreign Wars Post 1427
· 305 Wrestling
Homestead-Miami Speedway PR