The Lucas Oil 200 Driven by General Tire at Daytona International Speedway (DIS) was the season opener for the ARCA Menards Series (ARCA).
· Venturini Motorsports (VMS) fielded three Toyota Camry’s: No. 15 Drew Dollar, No. 20 Ryan Repko and No. 25 Michael Self.
· Friday (February 7th) the team participated in the first practice session. At practice end Drew Dollar was second fastest, followed by Michael Self in ninth and Ryan Repko 10th
· ARCA officials utilized a group qualifying method Friday evening. Self earned his first General Tire pole award of 2020, with Dollar qualifying fifth and Repko 13th.
· During the race Repko and Dollar were involved in a multi-car wreck on lap-40. Dollar sustained minor damage after being forced into the grass while Repko’s damage was terminal forcing the team to the garage. Dollar would rebound to finish third while Repko was relegated to a 22ndplace finish.
· After leading 61-laps, Self and his No. 25 Sinclair Oil, Champion Power Equipment Toyota team ended the evening on-top of the leaderboard. This was Self’s second victory at DIS (2018 and 2020).
· On deck next for VMS is the ARCA Menards Series East race at New Smyrna Speedway on Monday, February 10th. The team will field two Toyota entries: No. 20 Corey Heim and No. 25 Mason Diaz.
Michael Self No. 25 Sinclair Oil, Champion Power Equipment Toyota Camry
“To be able to win twice at Daytona (International Speedway) is unbelievable and the second time is every bit as sweet as the first. To be able to win with this group of people surrounding me, everyone at Venturini Motorsports, Sinclair Oil and Toyota is extra special. My family and a bunch of my friends we’re able to be here and that means everything to me. It was truly an amazing day for us and still a little bit surreal.”
Start – 1 Finish – 1 Laps Led – 61
Drew Dollar No. 15 Lynx Capital, Dollar Concrete Construction Company Toyota Camry
“Having the chance to race at Daytona (International Speedway) for Venturini Motorsports was a dream come true and I really enjoyed the whole weekend. Throughout the whole week I felt that I learned a lot and that translated to the race. We got caught up in someone else’s mess during the race and that forced me into the grass. To be able to rebound from that and finish third is a testament to this team and how fast these Toyota Camry’s are, and I can’t thank them all enough.”
Start – 5 Finish – 3 Laps Led – 0
Ryan Repko No. 20 Craftsman Toyota Camry
“I felt very optimistic heading into the race Saturday night. Everyone at Venturini Motorsports worked tirelessly to provide us with fast Toyota Camry’s. Unfortunately, the race didn’t play out how we had hoped after we got caught in the big wreck and I hate that for my No. 20 Craftsman team. I am extremely thankful to everyone at Venturini (Motorsports) and Toyota for the opportunity and I am already looking forward to my next race at Talladega (Superspeedway).”
Start – 13 Finish – 22 Laps Led – 0