Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-27):
● Daniel Suárez started Stage 1 from the fourth position and ended it fourth.
● Suárez was sixth during the lap-16 caution and pitted for four tires and adjustments to help his loose-handling ARRIS Mustang.
● He restarted 11th after varying pit strategies and worked his up to fourth for the stage finish, which went seven laps past its scheduled distance.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 28-52):
● The No. 41 driver started Stage 2 in the first position and completed it third.
● Suárez began Stage 2 from the lead position after not visiting pit road during the stage break.
● The 27-year-old was in the second position when the caution came for an accident that set up an overtime finish. After a lengthy cleanup Suárez had two laps to fight for a victory in Stage 2 and earn his spot in the All-Star Race.
● After leading the second-to-last lap, Suárez battled with a competitor coming to the start-finish line on the final lap but went spinning through the runoff area after contact.
Final Stage Recap (Laps 53-62):
● Suárez began the final stage in 16th and concluded it in 12th.
● The Mexico native came down pit road for repairs in an effort to earn a win in the final 10-lap stage. Unfortunately, the No. 41 machine’s damage proved too much, and the ARRIS driver finished 12th.
● Suárez led one lap in Stage 2.
● The Monster Energy Open was the undercard event to the Monster Energy NASCAR All-Star Race, where non-qualified drivers attempted to race their way into the All-Star Race by winning any one of the race’s three stages or by winning the fan vote.
The Monster Energy NASCAR Cup Series returns to points-paying racing on Sunday, May 26 with the Coca-Cola 600 at Charlotte. The longest race on the Cup Series schedule gets underway at 6 p.m. EDT with live coverage provided by FOX and SiriusXM NASCAR Radio.