Date: March 9, 2019
Race Name: iK9 Service Dog 200 (Race 4 of 33)
Venue: ISM Raceway near Phoenix, Arizona
Series: NASCAR Xfinity Series
Results: Cole Custer: 4th | Chase Briscoe: 6th
– Cole Custer: 2nd with 121 points; trails points leader by 18 points
– Chase Briscoe: 13th with 81 points; trails points leader by 58 points
Cole Custer / Haas Automation Ford Mustang Recap:
– Custer started the race in fourth and held steady until a caution with 13 laps remaining.
– He brought the No. 00 Ford to pit road for four tires and fuel. After restarting 11th, he finished 11th in Stage 1.
– The No. 00 team started seventh and finished seventhin Stage 2 to earn four stage points.
– The Haas Automation Ford Mustang gained two positions on pit road and started fifth in the final stage after a four-tire pit stop.
– Custer ran sixth early in final stage until a caution with 70 laps remaining. The team then came to pit road for four tires and fuel.
– Custer restarted third, but fell to tenth on the opening lap, before battling back into the top five with 28 laps remaining.
– The No. 00 Ford Mustang gained one more position in the closing laps of the race to finish fourth.
– Custer scored his third consecutive top-10 finish of 2019 and fourth consecutive top-10 at ISM Raceway.
Chase Briscoe / Nutri Chomps Ford Mustang Recap:
– Briscoe started 12th and worked his way up to ninth on the opening lap, but scraped the wall the next lap and fell to 15th.
– A caution with 13 laps remaining in Stage 1 allowed the team to pit for four tires and fuel. He restarted 18th and finished 13th in Stage 1.
– The Nutri Chomps team started Stage 2 in ninth and finished 14th.
– Briscoe and the No. 98 team started 11th in the final stage after a four-tire pit stop at the conclusion of Stage 2.
– The No. 98 Ford was racing in tenth before a caution on lap 130. Briscoe came to pit road for four tires and fuel during the caution.
– A pit-road speeding penalty forced Briscoe to restart at the rear at the rear of the field. He advanced into the top ten with 32 laps remaining.
– Briscoe gained an additional four spots to finish the race in the sixth position earning his second consecutive top-10 finish.
Race Winner: Kyle Busch of Joe Gibbs Racing (Toyota)
Next Up: Production Alliance Group 300 at Auto Club Speedway in Fontana, California on March 16th at 5 p.m. EST broadcast by Fox Sports 1.
Cole Custer, driver of the No. 00 Haas Automation Ford Mustang:
“The car was really good there at the end of the race. I’m just frustrated as I felt like we would have had a shot at the win there, but we gave up so much on the restart that it was tough to get back. We had a really great car. It’s just a matter of keeping our track position.”
Chase Briscoe, driver of the No. 98 Nutri Chomps Ford Mustang:
“It was an up and down day starting off, but it was great to actually qualify for once. It was a struggle for the first three-quarters of the race with a really tight race car. We were going to be sitting pretty there at the end when we came out of the pits in sixth, but got caught speeding down pit road, which really hurt our chances by having to go to the back.”