Stage 1 Recap (Laps 1-30):
● Custer started third, finished eighth and earned three bonus points.
● Custer powered the Haas Automation Ford to the lead for the first eight laps.
● On lap 10, he was shuffled to the middle of the pack, but quickly re-entered the top-10.
● He noted loose-handling conditions and pitted for two tires, fuel, air pressure and chassis adjustments.
Stage 2 Recap (Laps 31-60):
● Custer started fifth, finished 16th.
● During the opening laps, Custer wedged his way into the third position but was left with no help from behind when a car pushed him to the outside lane.
●He fell to 26th place and drove his way back to the top-10. On the last lap, he avoided a wreck and fell to 16th place.
● He pitted for four tires, fuel, wedge and chassis adjustments when the stage concluded.
Final Stage Recap (Laps 61-100):
● Custer started 17th, finished 25th.
● On lap 82, Custer was struck on the right side during a multi-car accident. The red flag was brought out with Custer in the 18th position.
● When racing resumed, he piloted the Haas Automation Ford into the top-five, but was shuffled to the middle of the field and clipped by another car on lap 97. The damage on the No. 00 was unrepairable, ultimately ending Custer’s day.
● Custer led one time for a total of eight laps.
● Six cautions slowed the race for 29 laps.
● Only 18 of the 40 drivers finished on the lead lap.
● Kyle Larson won the Coca-Cola Firecracker 250 to score his 11th career Xfinity Series victory, third of the season and first at Daytona. His margin of victory over second-place Elliot Sadler was .005 of a second.
Cole Custer, driver of the No. 00 Haas Automation Ford Mustang for Stewart-Haas Racing With Biagi-DenBeste:
“I felt like our Haas Automation Mustang was really strong and fast, but it didn’t handle the best. We got it better throughout the race and at the end, I felt like we were pretty good and could compete for a win or a top-five. Everybody got crazy there and I think we ran out of room. I think there was nothing we could really do about it, so we’ll move on to the next one.”
The next event on the NASCAR Xfinity Series schedule is the Alsco 300 on Friday, July 13 at Kentucky Speedway in Sparta. The race starts at 8:00 p.m. EDT with live coverage provided by NBCSN.
TSC PR/Photo Credit Jared C. Tilton/Getty Images